The world needs Christians to be better examples of Christ's love to have an effective witness. Simply praying for Jesus to come into your heart is NOT enough. You have to be receptive to the Holy Spirit and be obedient daily to the teachings of Jesus Christ.
John 14:15-17 says:
15. "If you love me, you will obey what I command.
16. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--
17. the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
A good way of diagnosing whether you are truly following God's commandments is to look for the "Fruit of the Spirit" in your own life.
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23. gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
12. Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
13. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
14. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
This is in contrast to immorale living.
16. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
17. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.
18. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20. idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21. and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Colossians 3:5, 8:
5. Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
8. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
Ephesians 2:3-5: (new creations in Christ)
3. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.
4. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
5. made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved.